Poetry Contest Rule
2018 VTS Poetry Contest
- The closing date of the competition for this year (2018) is 9:00 pm PDT, November 15, 2018. Only entries arriving by this time will be considered. Please allow for adequate time if submitting via postal mail.
- Submission using the Online Submission form is always preferred.
- The contest is open to anyone aged 16 or over.
- One poet may submit up to two (2) poems.
- Postal and email entries will only be accepted when accompanied by an Alternative Submission entry form.
- The judges’ decision is final and neither the judges nor Vancouver Tagore Society will enter into any such discussion.
- Entries must be the original work of the entrant.
- Entries must not have been published, self-published, published on a website, broadcast or featured among the winners in another competition before December 1st, 2018.
- Entries may be in any language. However, if in non-English, please submit an English translation along with the original. Only the English version will be judged.
- The name of the entrant must not appear on the poem page. All entries are judged anonymously.
- All poems must have titles.
- The maximum length of a poem is 200-words (excluding title).
- The copyright of each poem remains with the author. However, all entrants, by entering the competition, grant the Vancouver Tagore Society the right to publish and/or broadcast and/or display their poems. The published/broadcast/displayed poems will have the authors’ names on it including the copyright notice.
- Poets of the First, Second & Third-placed poems will receive Vancouver Tagore Society 2018 Poetry Contest Winner certificates at a ceremony during the Poetry Evening on the first day of the West Coast Tagore Festival on December 1st, 2018.
- Poets of the top 10 poems will be invited to read their winning poems during the Poetry Evening on the first day of the West Coast Tagore Festival on December 1st, 2018.
- Winners will be notified by November 24th, 2018. All winners will be required to provide a biography and optionally a photograph.
There are three ways to submit your entry:
- Online Submission (preferred):
- Use the Online Submission form to submit your entry.
- Email Submission:
- Download and fill in the Alternative Submission Entry Form.
- Type your poem in plain text, save using your poem’s title as the filename. Do not include your name on the poem pages.
- Write the email:
- Subject: “VTS Poetry Contest 2018 – Submission”
- Body: Can be empty.
- Attachments: Please attach the Entry Form and the file containing the poem.
- Send the email to: VancouverTagoreSociety@gmail.com
- Postal Mail Submission:
- Download the Entry Form, print, fill-up and sign.
- Type your poem in 12-pt font. Do not have your name on the poem pages.
- Mail the signed Entry Form and the poem(s) to the following address. Do not staple the pages.
- Address: VTS Poetry Contest 2018, #413-10530 154 Street, Surrey, BC, V3R 8A2, Canada.